Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Online Dating


As a single girl growing older, I noticed over the past few years that my Friday nights had turned quite tame. I spent many evenings with my married friends and board games. While I enjoy a nice round of Yahtzee, I also realized that I need a date every now and then. As I came to this realization, I looked around me and saw that most of my friends were all paired up. I then thought about my circle of friends and noticed that I had very few single ones. Even less ones with dating potential.

So, I did what any modern girl does, I signed up on an dating website. So far I have only been on two dates. One date was good and the other one was, well, not so good. But both were great learning experiences. I have learned two things since joining this site.

First is to accept who you are and your flaws. If you are chubby, don't put pictures of yourself from 10 years ago. Accept and embrace where you are physically or emotionally at this stage in life. Or, if you are a tech-nerd, don't write a profile that makes you out to be Don Juan. The purpose of the site is to provide a platform for all people to show who they are and find a match who finds those traits attractive.

Second, be aware of how you present yourself, articulate ideas, and relate to others around you. All these things can be fine tuned and improved upon if a person struggles in one or more areas. Using an online date is a great way to do this. The situation allows for a casual environment to practice these skills.

So, my advice to single ladies who are tired of watching chick flicks on the sofa on a Saturday night: be proactive and log on for love, or at least a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment